It’s Sunday, which marks my 6th day in Spain. It’s been an up and down week, but took a turn for good yesterday. I’ve been jotting down notes and observations on my sidekick (which has no service but functions as a good English-Spanish dictionary, clock, and notepad). I’m going to post each of these individually. Here’s my first day:
Tuesday, July 31st – First day in Spain
– arrived at the airport, everything is in Spanish, mild panic
– Ok, there are a few things in English here and there, including the driver’s sign for me, *sigh of relief*
– The country here feels a lot like southern California/Utah
– Lots of old completely abandoned buildings on the side of the road, crumbling and tagged with graffiti
– August is officially my “desert” month
– There is porn on the television. Not softcore, but hardcore porn. Three movies tiled on the screen. Channel 17.
Tuesday was a weird day. I was incredibly tired from all the travel and the 9hour jump ahead in time. Totally unprepared for attempting to steer my way through a society that didn’t speak English, I was happy to be dropped off at the office and have some people to talk to. A handful of people in the office speak fluent English and several others speak enough to get by. I got copies of keys to the condo, next door to the office, and after about 2hrs at work decided my brain was worthless and I needed sleep. I went up to the top-floor condo (2 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, with roofdeck!) and totally passed out around 4:30pm and woke up at 1:30am. Watched some television I had brought on my laptop, then back to bed at 4am, only to wake up at 7am.